A strong nonprofit brand has focus. It is uniquely identifiable. It is mission-driven. It integrates supporter and donor perceptions and experiences. And it builds trust.
Whether you are conducting a rebrand or a brand refresh, nonprofit branding success comes down to five things.
- Brand from the outside in, not the inside out. Start with the supporter and donor point of view.
- The center of the nonprofit brand is the mission. Lead with why it matters.
- Building a nonprofit brand is all about trust and public perceptions. Data sheds light on their perceptions.
- While the brand identity, system, and guidelines form the framework of a recognizable brand, a distinguishing brand story coupled with an emotional connection brings it to life.
- A successful campaign includes everyone in the organization singing enthusiastically from the same hymnal. Rally the believers to get everyone on board.